Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Complete A quick UI update

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Dear Acorn Domainers,

We have just a quick UI upgrade that shows that the user is active. Just check it for yourself.
8638b6fe-5a8d-4565-9239-1d43c6e1a5dc.jpg

And just keep domaining!

Super!! Great job 👏

Nice, I switched away from the standard green person silhouette to a green dot long ago. It was one of the first things I did. The dot obviously goes away when not online.

I see you surrounded the avatar in red, and I assume green when online.

The only feedback I have on that is the red looks like the user has been warned or something.
That was my first opinion when I saw admin surrounded in red, it looked commanding and something that required attention. In actuality it is the reverse, red means the user is offline and it requires no attention.

That was my first opinion when I saw admin surrounded in red, it looked commanding and something that required attention. In actuality it is the reverse, red means the user is offline and it requires no attention.
Yes, this might be because the theme and the red color clash.

this doesnt seem intuitive. a standard green dot by the avatar would be sufficient and easily understood. a red dot for offline is not necessary.
You are right! Shall we only include a green circle when the user is online and remove the reds? @Helmuts what do you think? Or maybe black/grey for offline users that doesn't attract attention?

Screenshot (31).png
Screenshot (32).png

It also detracts from the avatar itself making the site look cluttered.

See the dot I use on my forum avatar vs acorn, it was a subtle change to eliminate the person silhouette and even that de-cluttered.

One of the changes we made is when the member is verified the verified website address appears under the avatar. I restyled the field into a box and the website of the verified member there cannot be changed from the time they got verified unless they ask for assistance.

It also logs the country one is posting from with a flag which follows the member from country to country when travelling. So we know if it is a Canadian member or someone from a high risk country. Only a mod can change that flag.

However, what you are doing fundamentally changes the appearance of a members avatar and a lot of times the avatar is a brand (as in my case) and technically one does not alter someones brand.

1726227495136.png

@MapleDots we also do have the "Green Dot" but thought the circle would be more obvious. But yes, you are right about other things.

Code:
/* Change online indicator */
.message-avatar-wrapper .message-avatar-online::before { content: "\f111"; }

Add that to extra.less and it will remove the little guy in the green dot.

You can style it to any awesome font and change colours as desired by adding one line under the css.
Technically that is all that is required, it's discreet and does not distract.

If you are intent on keeping the circle consider getting rid of the gradient and using the same green as the dot green for online and a standard grey for offline.

this doesnt seem intuitive. a standard green dot by the avatar would be sufficient and easily understood. a red dot for offline is not necessary.

A very good idea. Tx

All credit to keep persevering! There is an opportunity cost to keeping going with Acorn though. Clearly you do have some great contacts and have had success in other areas of business.... it makes no difference to me either way if you push on with AD or not, but green dots or grey dots makes no difference as Acorn feels as dead as it ever has.

All credit to keep persevering! There is an opportunity cost to keeping going with Acorn though. Clearly you do have some great contacts and have had success in other areas of business.... it makes no difference to me either way if you push on with AD or not, but green dots or grey dots makes no difference as Acorn feels as dead as it ever has.

Good morning Phillip,

Thank you :) We have a list of things to be done here at Acorn.

As for the activity, yes, few have stopped posting here - it is ok :)

I have just made a fresh screenshot of stats covering the last 30 days:
brave_CarVCO9b8d.png

As for the newsletter, so far (still working on the best way to gather these) our stats show that within 12 hours is is open by a average 810-820 users. @Admin, is this correct? Tx

Acorn Domains has always been a discussion forum and UK domain marketplace. And, forums are always one of the best places to buy domains for the liquidation/wholesale prices.

Philip, by the way, what do you do? Have we met before? .. my apologies if we have and I don't remember this :) .. What are the domain names you invest in?

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom