Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Why nobody purchases from "make offer" threads anymore

This is effectively a trade / reseller forum, so I prefer trade/reseller prices.

If I pay retail / end user, I'm NEVER going to sell it.

Can you imagine trading your car in for retail ?

Me: Well parkers say 4,300, so I was thinking, 4,200 and its yours. You can service it, mot it, valet it, comply with the consumer rights, keep on your lot and store it until you find a buyer, pay the VAT/Tax on it, pay the rent, ultities, insurance, your wage, employees wage, and any repairs its needs, thats assuming you find a buyer.
Dealer: hahahehehwhahehehahohhahahaehehehehaheheheehahahhaheh

I'm with @Edwin on this one. Make offer is where we've sold most domains through acorn... but I come at it with the mindset that these are other resellers/traders we're selling to - its mainly wholesale.

So that assumes there is somewhere that "end users" buy domain names from.

There's no comparison between a domain name and a used normal car. On a used car you on a good sale may make a 50% profit but more like 20%-30% and they'll be costs even if you don't have a forecourt.

A domain name there's no ownership costs whatsoever barring your tenner a year and if the domain already has a year or two years on it you don't even pay that.

What I find ironic about this thread is it appears to frown upon vague info from 'offers' type sellers yet bands about this term 'trade prices' without at any point there being any general consensus as to what a trade price is.

Now barring any attempt to present myself as an expert I would like to modestly offer to examples as to why there's no such thing as 'trade price' in domaining.

Fictional Domain 1. RecycledFurniture.co.uk....

What's it worth? Who knows
Okay I'm calling it ££2000 to an end user then! Okay the trade price is £100.
So your 'trade price' is 5% of the end user price? Yes I'm afraid.
Okay then!

Fictional Domain 2. Money.co.uk

What's it worth? Who knows
Actually we do know. It's worth £2.8million and that's quite a long time ago! Okay fair enough
So your trade price is 5% of the 'end user price'? Are you out of you f£$£$%$ mind?
But.... /look pal lets be serious. I can't be bothered to find my own end user so you can have it for for 1.5million and whatever you get on top which is all but guaranteed call it my declaration of admiration for your negotiating skills then, hows that?

It's a deal.

'trade price' = 50%

And this is pretty much the same for the motor industry if you include the full spectrum of cars from bangers to top end. At the top end I spoke to a dealer of top end Porsches, Ferraris, who was operating on margins sub 3%. I couldn't believe it as I was trading at 30% to 50% on my part/time hobby where I'd buy at no more than £1500.

So what is a 'trade price'????

Simple. A trade price is one that gives room for a fair markup. It should:
  • Reflect it being a speculative purchase, rather than one you can immediately use, or make a return on by developing as part of your business
  • Leave room for the buyer to make a reasonable return, while still listing it at a fair market price
  • Make an allowance for the opportunity cost of a product that may not sell for some time - and for the cost of holding stock (the rest of the portfolio)
  • Make an allowance for the risk associated with never finding a sale, or failing to achieve a sale at the right price

Simple. A trade price is one that gives room for a fair markup. It should:
  • Reflect it being a speculative purchase, rather than one you can immediately use, or make a return on by developing as part of your business
  • Leave room for the buyer to make a reasonable return, while still listing it at a fair market price
  • Make an allowance for the opportunity cost of a product that may not sell for some time - and for the cost of holding stock (the rest of the portfolio)
  • Make an allowance for the risk associated with never finding a sale, or failing to achieve a sale at the right price

That is very well said but I'd like to see you get a buyer/seller to agree on what is quite a list of subjective factors. In property, cars, and even iphones a 'trade price' can be determined because the end user price is easy to determine or forecast by either a professional or even a layman with enough wits because the number of comparative sales is well published and ongoing. With domains the end user price cannot be forecast as often there is little to compare like for like, and even where their is dates of determinable sales can be problematic, so you have no basis to determine the 'trade price'. It's in my view entirely subjective with domains because every domain is unique.

It's impossible to say what a domain is worth. However it is very possible to say what it's 'not' worth. That's always been the domain market and, barring actual proof of earnings, it is purely subjective. That's why it's annoying to see people thinking they're pulling a fast one by spouting about 'premium domains', 'estibot value', 'potential traffic', etc. Maybe people are just getting sick of it.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom