Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Acorn losing its focus

Reaction score
What happened to the 'No' multi-sales posting rules (Keep the list to one Post rule)
Seems to me Acorn has been taken over as Nothing more than a Sales Platform for some/many - such a shame:( to think the daily visits just aren't worthwhile anymore.

I feel that the influx of foreign (with no racial disrespect intended) members with little clue about the uk domain market, assuming it is similar to the com is more of a problem, but how do you stop this whilst admin actively encourages more members to join? The forum needs to decide I guess on what its primary focus is, which in my view should remain uk only, possibly with some focus on digital marketing, despite it being a fairly small market. I have no real issue with multiple 'for sale' threads from the same individual as the domains are all separate in their own right, but maybe we should look to a way where by you can only advertise say 5 active domains at a time, relying on you to close them if you want to advertise more (similar to how DL only allow 3 active auctions). It may help with the 'clutter'. Having said all that, the issue is lack of general discussion, but that is down to the market conditions at the moment.

Last edited:
Forums are always quieter in the summer while people are away. Agree one or two members posting a lot of threads is a minor niggle, but on the whole I don't think it matters.

I'm all for encouraging an international investor community coming into .uk though - it can only be good for the scene.

I estimate that 90% of the content here has been sales threads, or links to sales threads elsewhere, since before change of ownership.

There is an obvious interest on the part of the owner to attract a larger membership and attain more paying members and income. It's a commercial endeavour and not operated out of goodwill.

There's precious little original discussion content being posted here and much of the content is being link-lifted from other blogs. Although I sometimes find these links can be useful to me, often I look at many of these sites independently.

It's exceptionally difficult to operate a successful forum and I'm aware of other struggling domain name forums with at least one attempting to focus on just new gTLDs as its USP.

If nobody is prepared to consistently write interesting content that others wish to read, whether for free or paid, I would expect the status quo. Most members appear to wish to buy and sell domain names. Nobody appears to be writing.

In my opinion there probably isn't sufficiently enough going on for any domain forum to solely focus on just .uk when a section on a larger industry wide domain name forum could achieve a similar result with more overall support and economies of scale.

Any domain name forum is going to have a very hard time competing against the obvious number one forum in the industry unless it offers something radically different than what can be offered mainstream, perhaps such as IDN or non English. The number one has dedicated writers and full time staff as well as most of the answers to questions I read that aren't .uk specific. I recently signed up there and I enjoy reading and contributing there for a number reasons, not least the alternative perspectives. I very much like being able to "shop around" for interesting discussion across multiple forums.

When some new members join here I have noticed a recurring theme whereby many don't stick around for very long. A forum needs new contributors so in my opinion this isn't ideal. Unfortunately nobody is tasked with being patient or nurturing them and I don't consider there seems to be enough going on here to retain interest. I don't know what to do about that because it requires time input and I suspect most of us are not interested in contributing our time gratis or have other things we need to be doing. If nobody is spending to achieve it and nobody is volunteering it probably won't happen.

I've noticed some previous regulars quietly depreciate their contribution here or disappear completely this year for whatever reasons. I haven't enquired about why.

I am however largely fine with the status quo because I believe it's driven by what the market wants. If I decide one day I wish to start actively marketing .uk domain names then I might consider paying to be a member here in order to receive the additional benefits. Otherwise I'll happily go where the content I find the most interesting currently is and don't feel any obligation to spend more or less time at any one forum.

After reading the post by @Bailey last night I pondered what might happen if @admin simply decided to turn this place off with no notice (that likely won't actually happen) and how I and others would be affected. What would I and others do, I thought. I think there would be a small number of regular sellers who would feel some immediate pain, @bluerock and @signature, immediately spring to mind. I wonder if some others would consider it a weight off their mind because some seemingly log in to be frustrated. :)

I wonder whether anyone else would bother to set somewhere else up and be bothered to administer it because it's an arduous task.

I've said my piece but I'm not unhappy with the current situation but if someone has any interesting suggestions for @admin I'm sure he's all ears. :)

The number one has dedicated writers and full time staff as well as most of the answers to questions I read that aren't .uk specific. I recently signed up there and I enjoy reading and contributing there for a number reasons, not least the alternative perspectives. I very much like being able to "shop around" for interesting discussion across multiple forums.

Care to say which forum you consider to be the very best (not uk specific)? dnforum?

After reading the post by @Bailey last night I pondered what might happen if @admin simply decided to turn this place off with no notice (that likely won't actually happen) and how I and others would be affected. What would I and others do, I thought. I think there would be a small number of regular sellers who would feel some immediate pain, @bluerock and @signature, immediately spring to mind. I wonder if some others would consider it a weight off their mind because some seemingly log in to be frustrated.

This is a good point. I'd consider myself in that list, as whilst I'm building a reliable customer base, some domains still sell through this forum, or at the very least point them towards auctions I have. This is why I've contributed to become a part member, and feel that if anyone else benefits from sales on here, that they also give something back.

The sales threads on on this forum were always the most busy to be honest, as far back as i can remember. Sometimes i post a few, other times not so often. I've benefited from both buying and selling domains on here for sure. Naturally a lot of us are domain investors so we should be wanting these sections of the forum to be active!

However there did used to be other more interesting non sales discussions which have died down recently, and I would agree that a lot of the older members have gone quiet. But with the .uk launch having passed and nothing too exciting happening in the .co.uk space at the moment it is naturally just a quiet time for discussion.

There's only ever one solution to this, if it the current content of the forum bothers you then why not actively try to contribute something yourself.

Just nothing interesting to discuss is there .uk wise, even down to drops; in the three years I've been paying attention the better domains dropping is coming down to a trickle

I suppose when the right of registration ends for .UK that will be interesting, check back in 2019 :cool:

Like other s have said, there is simply nothing to discuss of note really in terms of .uk. Personally, the threads I find most interesting on here are the ones about what people actually do with a domain (such as the skateparks thread).

Maybe it would be worth broadening the focus of Acorn to 'Acorn Domains and Digital Marketing'. As far as I know there are no UK specific forums on monetising websites, SEO etc and it could actually bring in some very targeted buyers for domains.

A whole bunch of reasons, many of which have already been mentioned:
- .uk build-up, launch and aftermath changed the whole dynamic with Nominet for many folk (myself included) - consequently less interest in other things Nominet is trying to do
- reg/renewal price rise brought more uncertainty at a time when focus moving towards mobile and to a degree away from domains
- "nothing new under the sun" - i.e. everything that can be discussed (relating to the UK namespace) has pretty much been covered
- brexit vote + summer slowdown = even bigger slowdown than usual
- hardcore group of vocal "anti secondary market" posters emerge in many discussions about "generic domain merits" (a bit strange, this is a forum for domain investors after all)
- quite a lot of threads that degenerated into tetchy exchanges, and undertone of aggression in many discussion threads, plus out and out personal attacks
- long-term players getting out of the market, or focusing on other things
- newbies getting "newbier" (if you're starting domaining in 2016 the unregged domains you're picking through are likely to be worse than at any time in the history of domains because all the good stuff has long, long gone - but it's still seen as a get-rich-quick for some, especially leaning on bogus Estibot estimates)
- RSS news feeds seem pretty random
- change in forum software

A mixture of the above goes a long way towards explaining the recentish lack of sustained discussions.

- brexit vote + summer slowdown = even bigger slowdown than usual

You see a direct correlation of the forum perceived loss of focus with Brexit ? When I saw you had posted in this thread I did wonder if you'd manage to stick a Brexit comment in there somewhere........well played.

You see a direct correlation of the forum perceived loss of focus with Brexit ? When I saw you had posted in this thread I did wonder if you'd manage to stick a Brexit comment in there somewhere........well played.

I was talking about the slowdown in the domain market. Anyway, that kind of proves my point about personal attacks.

- long-term players getting out of the market, or focusing on other things
- newbies getting "newbier"

Sort of sums it up for me. Long term players are likely to have done very well from this market, and given the slow down, don't really need to be active in the industry for the time being, aside for waiting on offers to come in, or picking up 'cheap' domains. The newbies are expecting that the recent (false) success of the .com market be carried over to .uk's and as such are buying up some very random ftr domains, and the odds of picking up anything valuable from ftr, given the caliber of players in the market, is rare. I'm stuck firmly in the middle, doing very well consider how late to the market I am, but it isn't getting any easier!

How do you decide which random letters you are going to capitalise in each post?

Yes, indeed - Sorry about that. I'm guessing I'm going back to the old days when Peeps highlighted text or words - Then I've reread some recent 'copied' snailmail correspondence and Bloody Hell I do it there as well. All I can do is put it down to emotive feelings (I'll try to put a lid on it).

I appreciate everyone putting their steer on the whys and wherefores of Acorn just becoming a Sales-board. I guess there's no long term concern for any of us. Like It's nice to see the Occasional relatively big uk sale on Domainlore - But, as mentioned, The Rubbish/hopeless listings have also gone up X fold.

Yep Boxfish I'm still at it ;) (bloody Hell - I've just Capitalised your user name)

Last edited:
I think it's fair to say everything that could be discussed related to .uk has been, so things have naturally gone flat, not to mention some of use might be becoming a bit old and cynical :).

On an optimistic note I'd say, personally, I'm seeing domains in use now in the purest form on UK tv adverts and local radio more than ever. Marketeers must be finally realising that the most direct relationship with a user is via the domain. Uncertainty created by ngtlds launch is beginning to fade.

As for domain sales, although technically DL a great platform which has undoubtedly created a more transparent .UK sales process, I do wonder if DL for better or worse has tarnished the value of domains by allowing a defacto market price to be set, which is driven by a handful of resellers - this is obviously great for them. Take DL away and I predict there would be a strong increase in prices within a year and AD would become a more active market place with the good old sales/auction threads.

I think it would be a good idea to have a collaborative .UK projects section, although I'm not sure how many would share their ideas/work :confused:

As for domain sales, although technically DL a great platform which has undoubtedly created a more transparent .UK sales process, I do wonder if DL for better or worse has tarnished the value of domains by allowing a defacto market price to be set, which is driven by a handful of resellers - this is obviously great for them. Take DL away and I predict there would be a strong increase in prices within a year and AD would become a more active market place with the good old sales/auction threads.

It's nice to have the option to sell a domain quickly and without fuss if need be

I think it's just the nature of the .UK drop process, where unskilled and non wealthy noobs like me could get into it and be happy with low prices and drive the trade market price down for everyone

But then in a way it kind of suits both parties, longer term wealthier individuals can pick up domains with strong profit potential and the rest can make a solid quick profit

It's nice to have the option to sell a domain quickly and without fuss if need be

I think it's just the nature of the .UK drop process, where unskilled and non wealthy noobs like me could get into it and be happy with low prices and drive the trade market price down for everyone.
I completely agree, I just don't think it helps the wider long term market prospects for uk domain prices.

But then in a way it kind of suits both parties, longer term wealthier individuals can pick up domains with strong profit potential and the rest can make a solid quick profit

The DL price is now becoming the true market price 'setter', which don't get me wrong may not be a problem for some. I guess I'm feeling that some end users would find it hard to come to terms with paying more for a domain when judging against DL.

The DL price is now becoming the true market price 'setter', which don't get me wrong may not be a problem for some. I guess I'm feeling that some end users would find it hard to come to terms with paying more for a domain when judging against DL.

Can only speak for myself but I've sold a few domains a year to end users for way beyond what I could hope for on DL

Had them for 2-3 years though before buyers contacted me

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom